This page is out of date. Please use the FAQ instead.
(Note: as I get more familiar with the wiki, and we get more q's, this faq will become more ordered)
Will gNewSense include non-free non-programs (artwork, documentation, et al)?
- It will not include anything non-Free as by FSF terminology.
Do you need mirrors?
- We don't turn them down if we get offered.
Our list is at Mirrors List.
Do you have 'My favorite proprietary format'?
Only if they have FSF-free versions.
Is my hardware supported?
- It depends. The following hardware is known to be questionable, because of its dependence on non-free software/firmware:
- Wireless cards,
- Direct rendering on new ATI / nVIDIA cards,
- Most hardware that requires the OS to load firmware.
Should I use gNewSense?
Where can I order gNewSense CDs?
Currently, you can't get official CDs. We are unfortunately lacking in space tourists with spare money You might be able to buy CDs off the Internet, or from a friend though!
What do you need help with?
- Website Maintainers;
- Graphic Artists;
- Freedom Verifiers to monitor package additions and mailing lists;
- Documentation Writers.
How can I help building?
Well, here is the Builder howto to get you started.
How can I contact you?
What architectures does gNewSense run on?
- x86 (also known as i386 or IA32 or "normal PC").
Does gNewSense track Ubuntu closely, or diverge a lot?
- In most cases gNewSense will track Ubuntu as closely as possible, however this may not always be the case.
What (natural) languages are supported?
We support all languages supported upstream in Ubuntu. For information check this launchpad page
Will you help me install non-free software on my gNewSense system?
Do you use Firefox or Iceweasel?
Firefox suggests non-free software, so we don't use that. Debian's Iceweasel does the same. There is a free version available, called IceCat. For installation instructions and other information, see our IceCat page. Metad users can also choose to install a modified version of Iceweasel.
What programming languages are included out of the box?
- C/C++, Python, Perl, and potentially others.
Is Java included?
- There are several Free Java interpreters included in gNewSense, but not Sun Java, or other proprietary interpreters.
What kernels are SMP capable?
- The kernels that have "server" in the package name.