22 Jan 2007
I am pleased to announce the 1.1 release of the gNewSense distribution and tools.
This release brings a number of improvements:
- (Builder) Support for arbitrary meta packages
- (Builder) Added optional support for updates and backports
- (Builder) Added support for multiple livecds
- (Builder) Produce torrent files for livecds
- (Builder) Support for tracking mirror freshness
- KDE variant livecd
- Fixed NTPL issue (/etc/ld.so.nohwcap)
- Enabled eepro100 driver (e100 (the default) was non-free)
- Recompiled and rebranded Firefox so we could disable the offering of non-free plugins
- New artwork
- Various other minor fixes and improvements
Big thanks go to Christian Fernandez for his work on KDE and multi-livecd support. Thanks also to Karl Goetz, Yoni Rabkin Katzenell, Tom Cort, Daniel Taylor, Dave Crossland and Angela Piñeros who contributed in various ways.
For users upgrading from an earlier version, please run the following command:
sudo rm /etc/ld.so.nohwcap
This fixes an issue with NPTL detection.
I'd also like to take the opportunity to direct your attention towards our FAQ at FAQ which should clarify many things which are commonly misunderstood about this project.
If you'd like to help us drop into our irc channel #gnewsense on irc.freenode.net, or announce yourself on our mailing list which is linked from Lists.
gNewSense is a project to produce a fully free GNU/Linux distribution, and to document and script all steps in the process. For more information, please visit our official website at http://www.gnewsense.org.
On behalf of the gNewSense Team,
gNewSense Head Developer