This page is out of date. Please use the main navigation to find the latest documentation.
News about the project is available in the Main section of the website. You are currently in the Wiki section, which is the user edited section - feel free to contribute by creating an account and editing pages now!
This section of the site is a wiki, and as such anyone can edit the pages here. When doing so, please bear in mind our Community Guidelines.
General Information, Installation and Upgrades
- What is gNewSense? What should I know before installing gNewSense?
- Frequently asked questions about gNewSense.
- Preparations for trying and installing gNewSense.
- Detailed installation manual with screenshots (including dual-boot information).
- A more simple installation guide (originally written for Australian users).
Install gNewSense in a virtual machine using VirtualBox.
- Install gNewSense from a memory stick.
- Technical details for converting an Ubuntu Dapper computer to gNewSense.
- How to upgrade from an older release of gNewSense.
- Restoring your system when something goes horribly wrong.
Applications and hardware
- Installing and removing software in gNewSense.
- A partial list of things broken by removing GLX/Mesa (No longer valid; GLX/Mesa has been freed and re-integrated).
- Office, Browser, etc.
- gNewSense in your free time.
- How to get your ethernet card working.
- Which hardware will run well with gNewSense and Free Software in general?
- Laptops used by gNewSense users.
- Experiences of gNewSense users.
- Community-contributed documentation for gNewSense.
- The Builder related documentation.
Note: Here is a very useful mini-guide which briefly describes how to configure X-Chat to connect to Freenode in different ways as possible (clear, via SSL, via Tor+SASL):
- How to help the gNewSense project.
- Etiquette Guide for gNewSense Community.
- Third-party websites that gNewSense users might find useful.
Requests for changes to the MainSite.
(todo:these are/should be incorporated in the precedent)
- Why you should choose free software - and gNewSense.
- Summary of package freedom and bug statistics for the last 4 weeks.
- Projects related to gNewSense run by the community and their status.
- Projects related to gNewSense Testing run by every one who want.
- Quotes from #gnewsense on Freenode.
- Upstream projects, or members of projects who deserve special thanks.
Frequently Asked Questions (deprecated, see new FAQ)