- The team that will promote gNewSense to the general public needs a proper name.
- The name is not meant for just internal usage, but also as a recognizable identification to the general public.
- It should be catchy, e.g.:
- Play on words (non-geeky)
- Rhyme (almost)
- It would be nice to be able to say "I am a ...", e.g. Playboy Bunny, Ubuntero.
Free is ambiguous.
Freedom has a strong political connotation (i.e. freedom fighters) for some people.
- Should the focus be on:
- Free software: because this is what we're ultimately striving for. The team would explain free software first and introduce gNewSense later. This approach doesn't distract people from the core issue(s).
gNewSense: because this is the implementation of free software we're working on. The team would show gNewSense while explaining what makes it free software and why it's important. This approach is more hands-on (a.k.a. less boring). People are more attracted to concrete products than to abstract concepts, so gNewSense would act as bait to get people to hear about free software. The team could act as a gNewSense-specific group under the Libre Planet umbrella.
- Should the name include "gNewSense"?
- We want the focus to be on gNewSense.
- One product name is more easily remembered than many product (distro) names or an ambiguously named concept.
- We want the focus to be on free software.
- We want to promote free distributions, not just gNewSense.
- Freedom Folk
- Can't be used in singular form.
- Freedom Friends
- Friends Of Freedom
- Friends of gNewSense
- Inclusive: "the more, the merrier"; gNewSense wants to be your friend, do you want to be a friend of gNewSense?
- Not exclusive: a friend of gNewSense can also be a friend of another free distro.
- Web 2.0, association with social networking.
Possible association with Friends of Libraries USA: "good cause", "educating people".
- GAP Initiative
- GAP = gNewSense Awareness People
Sounds a bit mysterious (therefore exciting), e.g. Dharma Initiative from Lost.
- gNewSense Advocacy Team
- gNewSense Awareness People
- Catchy acronym (GAP).
Acronym is already in use: GNUStep Application Project.
- Potential tagline: aiming to fill the gap in free software awareness.
- Pun: the more people join the GAP, the more we fill the gap (or more contradictory: we are the (GAP|gap)).
- gNewSense Awareness Project
- Possibly implies a finite effort.
- gNewSense Awareness Team
- gNewSense Marketing Team
- Common name with other distributions.
- Connotation: commercial business interest as primary goal, not suitable for promoting a philosophy.
- gNewSense Promotion Team
- As in "The Simpsons", a family around gNewSense; sounds a bit exclusive.
- As in the verb "to (use) gNewSense", they who gNewSense.
- Libre People
- Association with Libre Planet.
Libre is less ambiguous than free.
Libre is not an English word.
Libre is awkward to pronounce and to hear.
People has a more inclusive and open connotation than team.
People sounds too plain.
- Spread gNewSense:
- Commonly used for software promotion efforts, e.g. Firefox, Ubuntu.
- Connotation: spreading an idea/awareness of social change.